X vs Bobby

The end is near my friends, and I'm not talking about May 21st, I'm talking about the American leg of the Tour, so it's time to do some reflection upon what's to come.


With Richie's pending but uncertain return, the question arises as to what would happen with Phil if and when Richie returns for the European leg. I have read some posts online that advocate for Phil to actually stay and let Bobby go, and though I'm leaning towards these idea, I think it's a long shot for many reasons.

Without getting into a prons-and-cons situation, I dare say Bobby will stay. On the one hand, X has that "heavier" edge, some coolness to him that adds a lot to the band, and though he's being portrayed as "the kid" I was amazed at the fact that he's actually 45! (what do these rockers drink!?). Both B and X come from different sides of the R n' R spectrum, and by keeping Phil there's a possibility that this will atract a different kind of audience (leaving aside the fact that he's easy on the eyes, and aesthetically speaking fits into the band perfectly). It's obvious that Phil has had much more notoriety for the fact that he was filling in for Richie so all eyes were on him and even though Jon (IMO) "ignored" him during the first concerts (playing more to B), his role was still much more important and noticeable than Bobby's.

On the other hand, Bobby is an impecable and respected musician, plus the fact that Jon worships him and has worked with him for years AND he's in Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes. His role has always been similar to Hugh's (perhaps just a little more noticeable during the Jukebox set), a "supporting" musician, sorta speak. However, if Phil was to be kept, I doubt he could play Bobby's role, and of course he couldn't keep his actual role, since Richie would be back. Not to mention the fact that Phil's presence has a kind of "negative" connotation since it's associated with Richie's absence.

All in all, however much I would like for them to keep Phil and let Bobby go, I don't see how Phil would fit in the general lineup once Richie is back, I don't see Bobby leaving and I don't see Phil playing Bobby's role.

X, we'll miss ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! It's nice to have you around.
MCK